The Republic of Lithuania is a state located in the north of Europe. It is recommended to start exploring the country from the capital. It is in it that many historical and architectural objects are located. Palaces, ancient town halls, churches and cathedrals – in Vilnius, attractions are located on almost every corner. The former capital of the country, the city of Kaunas, is also worth visiting. The main natural object is the Curonian Spit.
Tourist Attractions in Lithuania
The most interesting and beautiful tourist attractions in Lithuania. Photos and a brief description.
Top Tourist Attractions in Lithuania
Old Town of Vilnius
The oldest part of the city, many buildings in which were built in the Middle Ages. Its area is slightly less than 4 km2, the main attractions can be visited in a day. The appearance of the Old City has been formed over the centuries. For the original combination of architectural styles of different eras and the abundance of architectural monuments, UNESCO has included the Old City in the World Cultural Heritage list.
The castle is in the style of brick Gothic, founded in 1409. It is located on the island of Lake Galve in the city of Trakai. The castle is connected to the mainland by a wooden bridge. For a long time it belonged to the princes of Lithuania. In the middle of the XVII century, as a result of military operations with the Moscow troops, it was destroyed. Restoration work on the ruins of the castle began in 1901, and was completed in 1970. Now the castle is one of the most visited places among tourists, it houses the museum of the city.
A narrow sandy strip of land. The length is 98 km, the minimum width is only 400 meters. On the one hand, it is washed by the salty waters of the Baltic Sea, on the other by the fresh waters of the Curonian Lagoon. The spit is included in the UNESCO list of sites, as there are no analogues of its natural landscape anywhere else in the world. Sandy snow-white shores alternate with dense forest. For tourists there are excursion routes to natural and man-made attractions.
Klaipeda Old Town
In the historical district of the city on the left bank of the Dange River, the atmosphere of antiquity reigns. There are many architectural monuments around the stone-paved Theater Square. Especially interesting is the complex of architectural structures in an unusual half-timbered style dedicated to art. One of the symbols of the Old Town is the Exchange Bridge or Charles Bridge. The Meridian sailboat is moored near it.
Old Town of Kaunas
The charm of the Old Town of Kaunas attracts thousands of tourists every year. Its center is the Town Hall Square. The Town Hall itself was built in the XVI century, from its observation deck you can see the entire historical part of the city. Residents of the city call it poetically – "The White Swan". It is worth visiting the Gothic Cathedral of St. Paul and Peter. The most beautiful street in the district is considered to be Vilnyaus. In her old houses there are small cafes, pubs, bakeries.
A small cozy area of Vilnius, separated from the Old Town by a small river Vilenka. Tourists and art lovers are attracted here by many art workshops and galleries. Representatives of creative professions even founded their own Republic, which has a president, a flag and a Constitution. The Independence Day of the jokingly created Republic is celebrated on April 1. The symbol of the community is a monument to an angel blowing a trumpet.
Gediminas Tower (Vilnius)
Monument of culture, history and architecture. It was built at the beginning of the XV century on the Castle Hill and is part of the Upper Castle. The three-storey tower is 48 meters high. From the observation deck of the tower, the historical part of the city is clearly visible. The shape of the tower is octagonal, the style of construction is Gothic. Currently, its premises are occupied by the Lithuanian National Museum. His exhibitions tell about the history of the city.
Built to protect against the Teutonic Crusader knights. It was founded in the XIII century and is the oldest castle in Lithuania, built of stone. Until today, about a third of the original castle has been preserved, two towers have survived. One of them houses an information center for tourists. It is planned to arrange a museum exposition and make a complete restoration. Even in a partially destroyed form, the castle attracts many tourists.
Kaunas Town Hall
It has a classic look for a public building of the Middle Ages. A high bell tower is attached to the premises of the city assembly. However, due to the fact that the construction went on for several centuries, several styles are mixed in its architecture – Gothic, Baroque, Renaissance, classicism. The Museum of ceramics is located in the basements of the Town Hall, and in the main rooms – the Kaunas City Museum. In it you can learn about different periods of the city's life.
IX Fort (Kaunas)
Previously, the fort was called the Kovenskaya Fortress. It was built in 1899 and performed defense functions in wartime. Of the nine forts built, only one remains in good condition. It is an open-air exposition. You can inspect the preserved walls, redoubts, batteries. The main attention should be paid to the museum of the victims of the Holocaust, because this place was used by the Nazis for the mass execution of prisoners.
Acute brahma (Vilnius)
Unofficially, the monument is called "Holy Gate". They were built in 1522. This is the only fragment of the city wall remaining intact. The arch is built in the Gothic style, and its facade is in the Renaissance style. Above the gate is the chapel of the Ostrobram Mother of God. Its architectural style is classicism. The icon of the Mother of God in the chapel is considered miraculous and capable of giving childless couples a long-awaited child.
St. Anne's Church and Bernardine Church
In the old town, two religious buildings attract attention. The Church of St. Anna was built in the Gothic style. Its construction was completed in 1500. The facade of the building is unusual. It is made original by lancet windows and decorative turrets. Each of its three parts is crowned by a tower pointing to the sky, the Bernardine Church next to it was built in the XVI century. It is one of the largest Gothic buildings in Lithuania.
St. Stanislaus Cathedral (Vilnius)
Roman Catholic Cathedral in the status of a minor basilica. It is located at the foot of the Castle Hill next to the high bell tower. It is built in the classical style and resembles ancient Greek temples. Antique columns and strict style make this structure impressive and monumental. There are several Rococo sculptures on the facade. The interior of the cathedral is decorated with more than 40 works of art.
Church of Saints Peter and Paul (Vilnius)
It was built in 1676 on the site where wooden churches were built twice before. The first one burned down, the second one was destroyed during the war. The project of the building was made by architects from Italy and Poland, it is called a "pearl in the Baroque style". But the interior of the church attracts more. There are 9 altars in it. The vaults are decorated with luxurious sculptural decorations. There are more than 2000 figures, bas-reliefs and stucco relief images in the church.
Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul (Kaunas)
The construction of the cathedral lasted more than 200 years. Later, the bell tower was completed. Now the Gothic-style building is considered a monument of history and architecture and is the cathedral of the city. The height of the cathedral is 84 meters. The main altar of the cathedral was founded in 1755 by the sculptor Tomas Podhaisky. Highly artistic icons adorn the interior walls. These are the works of artists Mikael Andriolli and Gotthard Bierhoff.
Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania (Vilnius)
The largest restoration project of ancient buildings in Lithuania. The castle was destroyed in the XVII century, and in the XIX century its ruins were finally demolished. Several fragments of the old palace building remained, but in order to find them, the archaeologist had to remove several meters of the cultural layer of the earth. Archaeologists and restorers continue their work even now. The excavation site is a demonstration site of the National Museum.
Museum of Occupation and Struggle for Freedom (Vilnius)
It is located in the building where the NKVD and the KGB were housed for 50 years. The expositions of the first floor of the museum tell about the Sovietization of the country and the partisan liberation movement. On the second floor, exhibitions are devoted to the deportation of the Lithuanian population to Siberia and life in the GULAG. The most difficult exhibition to inspect is located in the basement. It housed a prison, an interrogation room, a torture chamber and a room for the execution of death sentences.
MO Museum (Vilnius)
The main branch of the museum is located in Vilnius on the banks of the Vilia River. Its expositions contain about a million exhibits. Exhibitions tell about the history and development of the country in different periods. The expositions are divided into thematic departments – numismatics, archeology, iconography, ethnography, art objects, Medieval and Modern periods. About 250,000 people visit the National Museum of the country every year.
MO Museum (Vilnius)
Private Museum of Contemporary Lithuanian Art. Its founders are businessmen Viktor and Danguole Butkus. Collected works of the period from the 1960s to the present. The collection of art objects is extensive – paintings, photographic works, sculpture, art objects and graphics. The museum building was built on the site of the cinema "Lietuva". The first floor of the building is occupied by a cafe and a shop, and the exhibition hall and reading room are located on the second floor.
Museum of Devils (Kaunas)
The only museum in the world with a similar theme. It was created on the basis of a private collection in 1966. The artist Antanas Zhmuidzinavicius has been collecting figures of devils since 1906 and has collected 260 exhibits. The diversity of the museum's inhabitants is amazing. Some are made of unusual materials – leather, metal, plastic. Ashtrays, canes, pens, mugs are made in the form of devils. There are devils from popular books or movies.
Military Museum named after Vytautas the Great (Kaunas)
It was opened in 1919. The small collection of the museum was significantly replenished after the end of the First World War. In the future, it becomes even larger, collections of firearms and cold weapons, ammunition, paintings with military scenes appear in it. In total, more than 200,000 exhibits have been collected, which show the history of military affairs in the country. The wreckage of the Lituanic airplane is located on the second floor.
Ciurlenis Museum (Kaunas)
The National Art Museum, opened in 1921. It is dedicated to the works of the composer and artist Churlenis. In addition to the collection of his paintings, the museum keeps personal belongings of the master – diaries, essays, letters. The works of other masters in various fields of art are also presented. There are objects of folk art, some of them were made in the XV century. In total, about 300,000 exhibits are on display in the museum's collections.
Lithuanian Maritime Museum (Klaipeda)
It is located in an ancient fortress on the Curonian Spit. Collections of boats, ships, ship propellers and anchors are displayed in open areas, among casemates and defensive ramparts. The main collection includes prehistoric fossils, shells and corals. There are also 34 aquariums with such unusual inhabitants as jellyfish and penguins. There is also a dolphinarium. Military-historical exhibitions are located in the casemates.
Amber Museum (Palanga)
It was opened in 1963. The museum's collections comprise 4,500 amber stones and objects made from it. Part of the exhibitions is devoted to the role of amber in the history and culture of mankind. The museum is located in the former palace of Counts Tyshkevich. Its premises create a decent background for the exhibits. There is a botanical garden with an area of more than 100 hectares. The landscape project of the park was created by a designer from France, more than 600 species of plants grow in it.
Museum of Folk Life in Rumshiskes
Museum of Ethnography with an area of 175 hectares. It is located in the open air. The museum includes 180 buildings from different regions of Lithuania. Outbuildings, mills, chapels, farms, huts and the "Town of Masters" – together they recreate the life of the Lithuanian village. Many buildings are about 200 years old. There is a 6 km long hiking trail through the museum. Entertainment events are held on weekends and holidays.
In ancient times, this place was the first capital of Lithuania – a large city with large fortifications. Currently, about 200 people live among the hills. This historical place is appreciated by both tourists and UNESCO, which has included Kyarnave in the World Heritage List. Tourists can explore the ruins of ancient city buildings and a wooden chapel built without a single nail.
Vilnius TV Tower
A major television broadcasting center and the tallest building in Lithuania. The tower, built in 1981, is 326 meters high. A rotating restaurant is located on a platform with a height of 165 meters. Visitors are delivered to it by a high-speed elevator, which moves at a speed of 4 m / sec. Until 2015, the tower was decorated with garlands before Christmas, like a Christmas tree. Now the garlands have been replaced with laser light.
Three Crosses (Vilnius)
There is an unusual monument on a rocky hill near Vilnius. Three concrete crosses aimed at the sky. It was installed in memory of the executed and crucified monks in the XIV century. A staircase leads to the crosses at the top of the hill. There is an observation deck, from which the whole city is perfectly visible. In the dark, the backlight is turned on. Illuminated crosses give the impression that they hover over the city.
Mountain of Crosses (Siauliai)
One of the main shrines of the country and a place of pilgrimage. An unusual attraction is a hill dotted with closely spaced crosses. There are about 50,000 crosses in total. This place is not a cemetery. Scientists still have no consensus on when and by whom this monument was founded. One of the crosses was installed by Pope John Paul II, which increased the number of visitors to the mountain at times.
Witch Mountain (Juodkrante)
The 42-meter-high mountain is located on the Curonian Spit. In ancient times, it was considered a sacred place by a number of tribes. With the arrival of the Inquisition in Prussia, witches began to gather on the mountain to perform nature worship rites. Since 1979, Lithuanian craftsmen have been gathering on its slopes and creating sculptures. Thousands of tourists come to see the collection of various wooden sculptures. A winding path leads to the top of the mountain.
Dzuki National Park
It is located in the south of the country. Its area is more than 55,000 hectares. It is interesting for its variety of flora and fauna and natural landscapes. The villages of small nationalities of the region, where the masters of black ceramics live, are also under protection. There are several architectural monuments on the territory of the park. The park is beautiful at any time of the year. Tourists move around the park not only on foot, but also on bicycles or kayaks.
Aukstein National Park
The area of the park is 400 km2. The main attraction is considered to be Mount Ladakalnis. It is not only a natural monument, but also a historical one. In ancient times, rituals dedicated to the Slavic goddess Lada were held on its top. There are more than 100 lakes in the park, which are interconnected by small rivers and streams. Water tourism is developed in the park. There are many kayak rental places equipped, there are places for overnight stays.
It is a peninsula on the eastern coast of the Curonian Lagoon with a length of 5 km. A lighthouse was installed on the cape in 1863, which belongs to the ornithological station and is a monument to technology. The lighthouse is 11 meters high and is located 30 meters from the shore. The observation deck of the lighthouse can be reached by a metal staircase, which is decorated with wrought-iron ornaments. Curonian Lagoon, Rusne Island, Curonian Spit are visible from the site.
The Dunes of Nida
Unique and unusual natural formations in the center of the Curonian Spit. They are dunes blown by the wind. The sand of the dunes is a light shade due to the high content of quartz. Sometimes the dunes are called "wandering" or "wandering", because in a year, under the influence of the wind, they move up to 10 meters away, sometimes even crossing the Russian border. You can't walk on the dunes, there are wooden paths laid around for inspection.
Palanga Beach and Pier
According to one of the authoritative British ratings, Palanga beach is among the 20 best beaches in the world. Clean and golden sand, warm and calm sea, pine trees along the beach line – all this attracts many vacationers here. A pier was built for the promenade on the site of a wooden one destroyed by a storm. The length of the pier is about 400 meters. It offers a view of the sand dunes and the waters of the sea, the landscape looks especially beautiful at sunset.