The most interesting and beautiful tourist sites in Odesa
Photos, reviews, descriptions, and links to maps
Odesa is a port city, a resort city that welcomed with open arms adventurous and talented migrants from France, Italy and the rest of Europe. Their creative activity is reflected today in the architectural outlines of Odesa. Here every street and house has its own special family history – sometimes intriguing, funny, and sometimes quite sad.
The combination of the magnificent sea air, sunny climate of the Black Sea coast and the amazing hospitality of the locals make Odesa a popular holiday destination. During the summer months, the city is filled with colourful, cheerful masses of tourists. People stroll along the embankments until morning and enjoy the romantic sounds of the sea surf, sunbathe on the beaches and enjoy visiting Odesa’s historical sites.
Odesa was the third city in the Russian Empire to have a theatre. The first building was built in 1810, but after a few decades it burned down. The next one appeared at the end of the XIX century and is still in operation. The building was erected in the Viennese Baroque style, the unique in terms of acoustics auditorium is decorated with elements of French Baroque.
In the 19th century, the Duc de Richelieu emigrated to the Russian Empire because of the events of the French Revolution, and for a while he held the post of Odesa governor. He is considered one of the founders of Odesa. The monument was unveiled in 1828 on the initiative of the current mayor Count Langeron. F. Boffo and I. Martos worked on the sculpture. The monument adorns the Primorsky Boulevard of Odesa.
The staircase existed before the emergence of Odesa and led to the top of the hill where the Turkish fortress stood. After the territory was ceded to the Russian Empire, the staircase was reconstructed under the architect F. Boffo. During the last restoration in 1933, some of the platforms were asphalted, the parapets were faced in pink granite, and the staircase lost 8 steps.
One of the central streets of Odesa, a popular city landmark. It was originally named in honour of Admiral Jose de Ribas, who participated in the construction of the Odesa port. The street is a cobblestone pavement that gradually descends to the sea. Deribasovskaya is mainly dominated by 19th century buildings. There are various monuments in the squares and on the pavements.
One of the most picturesque streets of Odesa, a favourite place for promedan of citizens and tourists. The alley is planted with chestnuts, maples, plane trees and linden trees, which gives it a romantic “landscape” look. Seaside Boulevard is built up with buildings in the style of Italian Renaissance and Classicism. Soviet-era buildings spoil the view a bit. The street is the front facade of Odesa and looks very favourably from the sea.
A neo-Gothic style mansion on Gogol Street, named “Shah’s Palace” because the Persian Shah Mohammed Ali once stayed here. The ruler fled to Odesa after the revolutionary events in Iran. The mansion is a mid-19th century building erected for Polish aristocrat Z. Brzozowski. Now it houses the office of a private company.
The main Orthodox cathedral of Odesa. At the beginning of the XX century it was the largest Orthodox church of the Russian Empire. Up to 9 thousand people could attend the service at a time. Here rested the remains of M. Vorontsov and his wife. In 1936 the building was blown up by the Soviet authorities. The cathedral was fully restored in the 2000s, and the remains of the Vorontsov family were returned to their original place.
The exposition is located in the Potocki Palace, an architectural monument of the 19th century in classical style. The museum was opened in 1899 thanks to the activities of the Odesa Society of Fine Arts. The first exhibits were transferred from the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts. Now the museum funds contain icons, paintings, graphics, collections of decorative and applied arts.
The building is recognised as one of the most picturesque in Odesa and the most successful creation of architect L. Vlodek. The facade of the building is decorated with figures of two Atlanteans carrying the heavenly vault on their shoulders. These figures are not bas-reliefs, they form an independent sculptural group. Before the revolution, the building belonged to the Faltz-Fein family – honourable citizens of Odesa.
A monument of architecture of the XIX-XX centuries, which is located at the intersection of Preobrazhenskaya and Deribasovskaya Streets. On the territory of the complex there is a hotel and shopping malls. The roof of the building is decorated with a real steam engine. The internal space of the Passage reminds the interiors of Moscow GUM. Before the Revolution of 1917 the most prestigious and expensive shops in Odesa were located here.
The hotel was built during the “hotel boom” at the beginning of the 20th century, when profitable houses were built in large numbers. Every trading company, which had free capital, sought to invest money in the construction of another hotel. “Bolshaya Moskovskaya” was built at the expense of the firm “Dementiev and Co”. This luxurious Art Nouveau building became one of the most popular Odesa hotels.
Historical hotel from the end of the 19th century (5 stars according to the modern classification). The building was erected according to the project of A. Minkus and A. Bernardazzi. After completion of construction “Bristol” immediately gained the fame of the most luxurious hotel in Odesa. From 2002 to 2010 the building was closed for reconstruction. As a result of restoration works the historical appearance of the XIX century was completely restored.
A system of underground tunnels and labyrinths with a total length of approximately 2,500 kilometres. The catacombs emerged with the beginning of the construction of the city in the 18th century. Earlier there were quarries where limestone was extracted. Odesa catacombs are considered the most complex, long and mysterious in the world. Until now, many parts of the underground passages have not been fully explored.
A pedestrian bridge that connects Zhvanetsky Boulevard and Primorsky Boulevard. The name “Mother-in-law Bridge” was invented by the citizens. In Soviet times there was a legend that the passage was built specially for the first secretary of the Odesa regional committee to make it easier for him to get to his mother-in-law’s house through the ravine. In this place, newlyweds traditionally hang iron locks symbolising strong marriage ties.
The history of the market is inextricably linked with the history of trade development in Odesa. The marketplace was organised in 1827. Here they traded mainly imported goods, that is why the market has such a name. In the early 2000s a general reconstruction was carried out. As a result, office buildings and modern shopping centres appeared on the territory of Privoz.
The city park, where in the past the stormy life of Odesa society boiled. The garden was founded by Felix de Ribas in the early 19th century. On the territory there is a music pavilion, Summer Theatre, several monuments and sculptural compositions, a fountain. The city garden was renovated and reconstructed in 2007. The park continues to play the role of a favourite place for recreation and walks.
A resort area in Odesa, located within the Primorsky district. Arcadia is the very centre of the city’s holiday life. It is home to countless restaurants, hotels, nightclubs and promenade streets. The local beach is the most convenient in Odesa, as it is accessed by a natural gentle slope. In the high season, life in Arcadia is boiling round the clock, the bustling streets do not stop for a minute.
The memorial depicts a beautiful young woman with a child in her arms. It is placed on the Odesa quay in memory of sailors who did not return from battles. The monument was erected in 2002 on the territory of the Odesa port. Quite quickly, the modest monument became a city landmark, where numerous tourists like to take photos.