More

    Tourist Attractions in Geneva

    The most interesting and beautiful tourist attractions in Geneva. Photos and a brief description.

    Geneva
    clear sky
    61.2 ° F
    71.3 °
    61.1 °
    82 %
    0.3mph
    0 %
    Thu
    77 °
    Fri
    79 °
    Sat
    74 °
    Sun
    75 °
    Mon
    80 °
    About Geneva

    If you believe the story that God once distributed lands to different peoples and countries, then Swiss Geneva got one of the most picturesque places in Western Europe. The city stands on the shores of the incredible beauty of Lake Geneva. Its shores are surrounded by the mountain peaks of the Alps, and the coastal strip is an exemplary symbiosis of a harmonious life of people and nature.

    Geneva is also known as the world capital of watchmaking. Here are the manufactories for the production of the best chronometers in Switzerland, which have long become a symbol of status and well-being. From Geneva, precious watches are delivered to the most expensive stores in the world.

    Genevese are lucky to be born among the magnificent nature and the purest air, slopes with vineyards, Alpine chalets and luxury yachts. Probably, this is exactly what an exemplary human life should look like.

    Top Tourist Attractions in Geneva

    Lake Geneva

    The largest lake in Europe, located in the mountain system of the Alps. The border of Switzerland and France passes through it. Many figures of culture and art of the XX century settled in this picturesque area, now this tradition continues to exist. Around Lake Geneva there are national parks, vineyards, prestigious resorts with Michelin restaurants, archaeological sites of Antiquity and the Middle Ages.

    Lake Geneva
    The Fountain Is Up To

    The Fountain Is Up To

    Nowadays, the city fountain is considered a landmark and a symbol of Geneva, but in the XVIII century it was built for a purely practical purpose - as part of a factory hydraulic system. After the need for such systems disappeared, the city authorities decided to turn the fountain into an ornament of Geneva. Now-Up is a jet of water escaping from Lake Geneva. The system is illuminated thanks to powerful illumination.

    Broken chair

    A wooden sculpture in the form of a chair with a damaged leg, installed on one of the squares of Geneva. It was created as an expression of protest against the use of anti-personnel mines, which leave people without limbs. The sculpture reaches a height of 12 meters. The chair was installed in 1997 on the initiative of the International Organization of Disabled People. From the very beginning, the idea received a wide public response and support.

    Broken chair
    Bourg de Fours Square

    Bourg de Fours Square

    The square is located on the left bank of the Rhone River in the historic part of Geneva. In the center there is a small fountain of the XVIII century. Since Antiquity, there has been a market on this place, during the Middle Ages, fugitive French Protestants gathered here. There are several cozy cafes on the square, historical districts and architectural monuments of different eras are located around.

    Palais des Nations

    The building was built in 1928-1938, which was erected for the League of Nations, the predecessor organization of the modern UN. Until 1966, UNESCO was located on the territory of the Palais des Nations, then the building was transferred to the UN, despite the fact that Switzerland was not a member of the organization and joined there only in 2002. The palace was built in the neoclassical style according to the project of a group of architects.

    Palais des Nations
    Geneva Museum of Art and History

    Geneva Museum of Art and History

    The museum was founded at the beginning of the XX century. It is the only collection in Geneva where an extensive encyclopedic collection of art objects from different eras and countries is presented. Paintings by Van Gogh and Monet are exhibited here along with ancient Egyptian artifacts. There are also many exhibits of the Middle Ages in the museum: weapons, armor, church vestments, clothing, household items, ceramics and porcelain.

    Patek Philippe Museum

    Patek Philippe Museum

    The museum of one of the most elite brands of Swiss watches – "Patek Philippe S.A.". Even the slogan of this company says that you cannot own their watches, but simply are the temporary custodian of such "jewelry". A professional guide of the watch museum will conduct a tour and tell you about the nuances of watchmaking, which originated in Geneva several hundred years ago, and also show unique specimens.

    Natural History Museum

    One of the largest natural science museums in Europe, whose collection is located on four floors of an impressive building. Here you can see stuffed animals and birds, fossil skeletons, a collection of minerals, meteorite fragments and precious stones. A separate floor is allocated for an exhibition telling about the evolution of man. The museum regularly hosts thematic events.

    Natural History Museum
    Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum

    Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum

    In the second half of the XIX century, a native of Geneva, A. Durand founded the international charity organization "Red Cross". By the 100th anniversary of this event, it was decided to open a museum dedicated to the activities of the association. As a result, the museum opened only in 1988 due to long approvals. The exposition consists of documents, films, photographs, posters telling about the activities of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent.

    Museum of Ceramics and Glass "Ariana"

    The collection grew out of the private collection of the philanthropist G. Revillot. It included sculptures, coins, paintings, ceramic dishes and antique stained glass windows. In 1890, the collection became the property of the city. Over time, the exhibits were moved to other museums, and only glass and ceramics remained in Ariana. Now the museum has more than 12 thousand objects in its collections, the earliest of which date back to the VIII century.

    Museum of Ceramics and Glass
    Ethnographic Museum

    Ethnographic Museum

    The museum was founded in 1901 with the participation of Professor E. Pittar. The exhibition is divided into seven parts, which are dedicated to the cultures of America, Oceania, Europe, Africa and Asia. According to the size of the funds, the Ethnographic Museum is considered the second in Switzerland. The collection is housed in a modern building built in 2014, designed by T. Pulver and M. Graber. The distribution of light in the interior of the museum allows you to view all the exhibits from the most favorable side.

    Tavel House

    The town house of the noble Tavel family, built in the first half of the XIV century. Representatives of the genus lived here until 1963, after which the building was transferred to the city authorities. After the reconstruction, a museum was opened on the territory of the house. The exhibition is a reconstruction of the old houses of the Geneva aristocracy. The atmosphere typical of such dwellings several centuries ago has been recreated here.

    Tavel House
    Arsenal

    Arsenal

    The Arsenal building was built in the XIV century and was first used as a city barn. During the turbulent times of the Reformation, it began to serve as an armory. In the XIX century, the Geneva authorities decided to organize an archive and a historical museum on the territory of the Arsenal, where it was planned to place valuable exhibits. In addition to the museum, the city fair is located on the territory of the building.

    Molar Tower

    In the XIV century, the structure was part of the system of city fortifications. Previously, there was an old port with access to the sea in its place. In the XVI century, the tower was restored and the coats of arms of famous supporters of the Reformation were applied to it. Since then, the building has been a symbol of fighters, revolutionaries and other dissenters who constantly took refuge in Geneva from the persecution of the authorities of their states.

    Molar Tower
    The Reformation Wall

    The Reformation Wall

    A monument that perpetuated the events of the Reformation, as a result of which national currents began to break away from a single branch of the Western church. This happened in Germany, the Netherlands, England and other countries. The foundation of the monument was laid 400 years after the birth of one of the founders of the new doctrine – J. Calvin. The construction of the wall was completed by 1917. It depicts figures of prominent figures of the Reformation.

    The Grand Theatre of Geneva

    The Opera House, built in 1879. For a long time, Geneva did not have a music scene, as the city was influenced by the ideas of the Reformation, which denied luxury and idleness. The theater opened with a production of the opera by J. Rossini "William Tell". In the XX century, the building was completely destroyed by fire, it was restored by 1962. The last reconstruction was carried out in 1998.

    The Grand Theatre of Geneva
    St. Peter's Cathedral

    St. Peter's Cathedral

    The main city cathedral of Geneva, built on the site of early Christian churches in the XIII century. The building was built in the Romanesque style, but over time "overgrown" with Gothic elements. In the XVIII century, as a result of another restructuring, the cathedral had a classic facade. Since 1535, St. Peter's Cathedral has been a Calvinist church. It became one of the first churches in Europe to adopt the ideas of the Reformation.

    The Basilica of Notre Dame

    The main Catholic church of the city, built in the XIX century. Until that time, it was not possible to build a Catholic church in "reformist" Geneva. The Basilica is one of the places visited by pilgrims following the Path of St. James. The architecture of the cathedral is an imitation of the Gothic style to imitate the ancient Christian churches.

    The Basilica of Notre Dame
    Holy Cross Cathedral

    Holy Cross Cathedral

    The Orthodox church, built in 1866. The history of its appearance is quite interesting – in 1862, the Geneva authorities donated a plot of land to the Russian Empire specifically for the construction of an Orthodox church. Alexander II donated a large sum of money for the construction of the Holy Cross Cathedral, the rest of the funds were collected in a fairly short time.

    Monument to the Duke of Brunswick

    Monument-mausoleum dedicated to the exiled German Duke Karl of Brunswick. He escaped from his possessions during the events of the Franco-Prussian War. The aristocrat had no heirs, so he decided to bequeath his entire fortune to Geneva if the authorities erected a worthy monument to him. The authorities agreed, since the duke's wealth was really impressive. Thanks to the inherited 24 million francs, the city acquired a university and an opera house.

    Monument to the Duke of Brunswick
    Mont Blanc Bridge

    Mont Blanc Bridge

    The bridge over the Rhone River, which offers a beautiful view of the Same-Do fountain, Mont Blanc – the highest point in Western Europe and Rousseau Island. The structure was built in 1862. Flags of all Swiss cantons are flying on the edges of the bridge parapets. The place is very popular with tourists, as there are city attractions and famous shops nearby.

    Geneva Botanical Garden

    The Botanical Garden is located near the UN administrative building. It contains a large variety of tropical and Mediterranean plant species. On the territory of the Botanical Garden there are several greenhouses, a small zoo with pink flamingos, a library, ponds, a playground and a cafe. The park covers an area of 12 hectares, several thousand plants grow in it.

    Geneva Botanical Garden
    La Grange Park

    La Grange Park

    A country park located on the shores of Lake Geneva in the place where the very first settlements arose. The ruins of an ancient villa have been preserved on the territory of the park. La Grange is famous for its rose garden, century-old trees and chestnut alleys. There are many areas for children in the park, and there are also special areas for dog owners. Native Genevese love to spend time in La Grange.

    Bastion Park

    The park is located on the site of the former city fortifications. After the liberation from the Napoleonic occupation, potatoes were planted on this place, until in 1817 O. Decandol founded a Botanical Garden here. At the beginning of the XX century, the garden moved to another place, and the Bastion Park acquired its modern look. One of the most significant monuments of the park is the monument to the statesman C.P. de Rochemont, under whom Switzerland declared eternal neutrality.

    Bastion Park
    Flower Clock

    Flower Clock

    The clock is located on the territory of the English Park, which stretches on the shores of Lake Geneva. The first watches were created in 1903 by the Swiss scientist K. Linnaeus, the second appeared in 1955 in honor of the recognition of Geneva as the world center for the production of chronometers. The diameter of the dial of the flower clock is 5 meters, the plants are chosen in such a way that the composition blooms throughout the summer.