More

    Tourist Attractions in Brno

    The most interesting and beautiful tourist attractions in Brno. Photos and a brief description.

    Brno
    clear sky
    74.7 ° F
    78 °
    70.8 °
    54 %
    2.9mph
    0 %
    Thu
    77 °
    Fri
    76 °
    Sat
    74 °
    Sun
    72 °
    Mon
    75 °
    About Brno

    More than one commander has “broken his teeth” about the strong walls of Brno in the past. The city was tested for strength by the Hussites, Swedes, Turks and the Prussian army. Only the cunning Napoleon did not besiege the bastions in vain, but simply ordered to blow up a strong ring of defensive walls. Today, a ring road runs on the site of the former fortifications.

    Brno is surrounded by a picturesque green plain, in which medieval castles are lost. And in the city itself, tourists will definitely have something to occupy their time with: ancient squares and neighborhoods beckon to look around the corner, make another turn and get off the planned route. The city cathedrals still remember the melodious chants of the past centuries. Their creepy crypts, as before, are full of dark secrets.

    Top Tourist Attractions in Brno

    Spielberk Castle

    The castle was built in the XIII century and first served as the residence of kings and margraves. By the XVII century, it began to acquire Baroque features and lose its Gothic appearance. During the Austrian monarchy, a prison for dangerous criminals was organized on the territory of Spielberk. The gloomy dungeon worked until the middle of the XIX century. He became "famous" as the most severe dungeon of the Austrian Empire. Nowadays, the castle houses the exposition of the city museum.

    Spielberk Castle
    Villa Tugendgat

    Villa Tugendgat

    A villa in the style of functionalism, which was built by architect L. M. van der Rohe in the 1930s. He also worked on the interior design of the building. In 2001, the building was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. The villa was built from exotic materials with the use of advanced technologies at that time, so its construction cost a decent amount. The owners of the building left the country in 1938, so over time it became the property of the city.

    Freedom Square

    Freedom Square is the largest in Brno and one of the oldest. It appeared in the distant XIII century. In the Middle Ages, it was surrounded by the houses of wealthy citizens, which were rebuilt in the Neo-Renaissance style in the XIX-XX centuries. In the middle of the square stands the monument "Plague Column", installed in 1648 after the liberation of Brno from Swedish troops and getting rid of the threat of the plague epidemic.

    Freedom Square
    Vegetable Market Square

    Vegetable Market Square

    Since the XIII century, vegetables and poultry were sold on the square, which is why it got its name. Over time, it was surrounded by magnificent palaces, but the bazaar continued to work regularly (it still exists today). In the center of the square there is a baroque fountain "Parnassus" of the XVII century. The sculptural group depicts three civilizations: Greek, Persian and Babylonian. In the middle, Europe sits on the defeated dragon.

    Old Town Hall

    The Brno Town Hall was built in 1240 in the Gothic style. Until 1935, its appearance changed, becoming overgrown with elements of Baroque and Renaissance. The city Council has been sitting in this building since the end of the XIV century. In the XX century, he moved to a new place. Today, the City Hall houses the Brno Cultural Center, where exhibitions and various events are held. Tourists are greeted at the entrance by locals in national costumes.

    Old Town Hall
    Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul

    Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul

    Catholic Church in honor of the Holy Apostles. According to sources, it was founded in the XI-XII (XIII) centuries. At first it was built in the Romanesque style, and a few centuries later it was rebuilt in the Neo-Gothic. The interior of the cathedral is made in the Baroque style. Two symmetrical towers 84 meters in height were erected at the beginning of the XX century according to the project of A. Kirstein. The building is recognized as one of the most valuable architectural monuments of South Moravia.

    Capuchin Monastery

    The monastery is located on the square of the same name, which at first glance will not attract the attention of a tourist. Only the Baroque monastery church is available for inspection, the rest of the buildings are not so easy to reach. Inside the monastery there is a crypt with the mummies of the first monks. The brothers were buried here in this form until the prohibitive decree of Joseph II of Habsburg. Today the tomb is open to the public.

    Capuchin Monastery
    Church of St. James

    Church of St. James

    The church was built in the XIII century in the Gothic style. In the XVI century, a Renaissance tower was added to it more than 90 meters in height. Not so long ago, the remains of more than 50 thousand people were found in the temple catacombs. The fact is that the local cemetery was filled in the Middle Ages and old bones were simply put under the slabs of the church to make room for new graves. So, over time, a large bone storage was formed.

    Brno Technical Museum

    In the museum you can see a collection of vintage cars of local production, rare clockwork mechanisms, cameras, typewriters and other devices. The achievements of the aviation industry and the field of computing technologies are also presented here. The collection is located in 11 thematic halls and occupies a rather impressive area. The museum has a library, a lecture hall and a scientific laboratory.

    Brno Technical Museum
    Moravian Gallery

    Moravian Gallery

    The museum's collection occupies as many as five buildings: the Prazhakov and Mystrodrzytel Palaces, the Yurkovich Villa, the J. Hoffman House and another city mansion. The Moravian Gallery is considered the second most important in the Czech Republic after the National Gallery in Prague. In addition to paintings, it exhibits objects of decorative and applied art: ceramics, textiles, glass products and other masterpieces created by Czech craftsmen.

    Moravian Museum

    The museum was founded in 1817. Today it is the largest and oldest in Moravia. His collection contains about 6 million copies, which are housed in several buildings. The main exhibition is located in a baroque mansion of the XVII century — the Dietrichstein Palace. He became famous for the fact that the reigning personages stayed here, and also Field Marshal M. I. Kutuzov stayed for a few days.

    Moravian Museum
    Museum of Gypsy Culture

    Museum of Gypsy Culture

    A unique exhibition that tells about the culture and life of the Moravian Gypsies. The museum opened in 2003 after 12 years of collecting exhibits from all over the Czech Republic and neighboring countries for the future exhibition. Its appearance was made possible thanks to public funding and private donations from the settled Roma of Brno. The museum has a library where rare documents and books are kept.

    Observatory and Planetarium

    A scientific and entertainment complex designed to attract the attention of visitors to the sciences and popularize natural science. The main focus of attention, of course, is on the Cosmos – its properties, riddles, problems and prospects. The complex includes a large and small planetarium, an observatory equipped with modern telescopes, an "explorarium" and an observation deck.

    Observatory and Planetarium
    VIDA! Science Centre

    VIDA! Science Centre

    A scientific and experimental center where there is a lot of interesting things for adults and children. Visitors can conduct their own experiments here with the help of exhibits and study natural phenomena, comprehend physical laws. Sometimes colorful shows take place in the center, where complex phenomena are narrated in a playful way, but these performances are given only in Czech.

    Magena Theater

    The theater stage building was built at the end of the XIX century according to the project of the Austrian masters G. Gellner and F. Fellner in a mixed style with elements of neo-Baroque, Neo-Renaissance and neoclassicism. Electric lighting was installed in the theater, which was a great luxury at that time. Today there are dramatic performances on the stage, the troupe of the National Theater of Brno performs here.

    Magena Theater
    Janacek Theater

    Janacek Theater

    The Brno Opera Stage, founded in 1965. The name is given in honor of the Czech composer. The architectural competition for the best design of the future theater was held from 1910 to 1957. As a result, a concise and functional project without any classical or baroque elements won. The auditorium is designed for 1300 people. Since its foundation, more than 20 ballet and opera premieres have been held on the stage.

    Moravian Karst

    The karst massif is 25 km long and 2 to 6 km wide. There are more than 1000 caves on its territory, but only 4 of them are open to the public: Baltsarka, Puncva, Stolbno-Shoshuvskaya and Katarzhinskaya. This natural attraction is equally in demand among tourists and locals. The Moravian Karst is one of the most impressive cave systems in all of Europe.

    Moravian Karst
    The Abyss of Matsoha

    The Abyss of Matsoha

    A natural monument in the vicinity of Brno on the territory of the Moravian Karst. Residents of the city and surrounding villages believed for a long time that the abyss had no bottom at all, until the local monk Lazar Shopper descended into it at the beginning of the XVIII century. But people still continued to tell dark stories about this place. The fault was formed as a result of the collapse of the arches of a large cave. Its length is about 180 meters and its maximum depth is 135 meters.

    Veverji Castle

    A medieval castle 13 km from Brno, located on a green cape near the Brno reservoir. It is one of the oldest and largest in the whole of the Czech Republic. According to legend, Veverji was founded in the XI century by Konrad I of Brno. The structure has survived several sieges and reconstructions. During the Second World War, it was destroyed during the fighting. Large-scale restoration began already in the XXI century.

    Veverji Castle
    Pernstein Castle

    Pernstein Castle

    The family estate of the noble Pernstein family, located about 40 km from Brno on a rocky hill. The family lived here until the end of the XVI century. The building was built in the XIII century in the Gothic style. Over the next centuries, small changes were made to its appearance. Today tourists see a castle of the XVI century model. In the past, it often became a film set for historical films.

    Slavkov Castle

    The second name of the castle is Austerlitz, after the city known since the Napoleonic Wars. The very first building stood on the site of a Baroque palace in the XIII century. Then it was remodeled in the Renaissance style, but only by the beginning of the XIX century it acquired the features of an elegant and magnificent Baroque. It was in Slavkov in 1805 that France and Austria signed an agreement after the devastating (primarily for the Russian Empire) Battle of Austerlitz.

    Slavkov Castle
    The Grave of Peace

    The Grave of Peace

    Memorial complex dedicated to the numerous victims of the Battle of Austerlitz. The main object of the composition is the Mound of Peace, which is located on the battlefield and rises above the surrounding landscape. The monument has the form of a mound. There is a cross on its top, and on the edges there are figures with shields symbolizing the countries participating in the battle. Inside the mound there is a chapel and a crypt.

    Brno Zoo

    The menagerie appeared in Brno in 1937. In 1953, it moved to its current location. The zoo is home to more than 300 species of animals (1,500 thousand individuals). The number of guests is growing, as the animals have offspring. The local collection of birds and reptiles deserves special attention. For children, there is a mini zoo with piglets, goats and pet rabbits that you can pet.

    Brno Zoo
    Park

    Park "Luzhanki"

    The park is located near the historical center of Brno. Since the XVI century, it has been known as the "Jesuit Garden", since earlier these lands belonged to the Order of St. Ignatius. After the abolition of this monastic association, according to the imperial decree, the park was transferred to the city. By that time, it required updating, which was what the head gardener of Brno, A. Basinger, was doing. In 1788, "Luzhanki" was opened to the public.

    Ignis Brunensis

    The fireworks parade, which takes place annually in Brno. Thousands of tourists come to admire this spectacle. The festival usually lasts two weeks. Within its framework, colorful evening shows are organized every day, where participants blow up the most bizarre fireworks, trying to impress the jury and the audience. There are other interesting events in the parade program.

    Ignis Brunensis